Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Water

I get a lot of stares because of my water bottle. It tips most people off that I'm not Italian, before my clothes or lack of speaking skills clue them in. When I first arrived, I noticed that we had bottled water on the table for meals, and so asked if tap water was safe to drink. My host family told me that it is, though they prefer the taste of water from another town, so fill up 20 L jugs from there every few weeks. I don't have a problem with the flavour of the water here, so I fill up my water bottle each morning from the tap.
I don't know anyone else that does this. Some drink from the tap, though after filtering it again. If they bring water somewhere, it's always in a store-bought bottle, usually 0.5 L. At restaurants, you buy water. I have given up trying to understand this, but here's the thing: I am not giving up my water bottle.
Italy, you may change what I eat and when I eat it. You may change what I learn in school, the days I go, and the language I speak. You may change how I dress and the currency I use. But bottled water is just too far, Italy, too far.
For many reasons, bottled water does not make sense. Primarily, for me, looking from an environmental standpoint. Taking water from one ecosystem, putting it into plastic bottles that are likely not recycled, transporting it, then buying it at the other end. This is just wrong on so many levels. And unnecessary. And polluting. And I pretty much hate it. (Although I'll admit that bottled water can be handy while travelling or while in a location without reliable tap water. )
Other reason I don't like bottled water? I'd rather spend that money elsewhere.

As far as I know, the water here is safe to drink. Or at least I've been drinking it for five months with no problems. I'll update if I grow a third eye or if my hair turns blue or something.

2 comments: