Saturday, June 25, 2011

Trento and Como

Trento is actually really nice. It's in the mountains, the streets are clean, pedestrian friendly, the buildings are really pretty. As soon as I got there, I ate my packed lunch in a green park, next to a bunch of ducks. 
After I checked into my hostel, I explored the city, seeing the cathedral, the underground city, the castle, and the galleries. I wanted to take the cable car, but it was closed due to wind. The galleries were in two old transport tunnels, where they had information about the region, which has changed hands several times, including switching into Italian control after the first world war. There was also an incredibly powerful photographs of war exhibit showing pictures from wars in Yugoslavia, the Suez, Israel, Africa, Cambodia, and more. The galleries also included a museum with information about the history of the region. Then I went back to the city, looking for a pin for my jacket, and a recommendation for dinner. I ate early, around 7:30, trying to eat my way through a plate of gnocchi (I failed, it was so good, but so much food). I wandered around the city a little longer before going back to the hostel to go to bed. 
The hostel I stayed at got fairly low reviews everywhere I looked - nothing higher than a 6.5 out of 10 - but it was only €16, so I took it. The reviews said that the atmosphere was cold, breakfast pathetic, and there was a lack of customer service. I'd agree for the most part. The hostel was large, but it was rare to meet anyone outside of your room. The breakfast was coffee, juice, a bun, jam and margarine, but I wasn't expecting much more considering how much I paid. The service was fine, they helped me find somewhere to eat and gave me a map. Like in other hostels I've stayed at, I had to make my own bed and bring the sheets down when I had finished my stay, and no toiletries or towels were provided. The room itself was very bare. I shared my room with seven other women - a pair of German bike tourists, another pair of women, and three others travelling on their own. Generally very polite and friendly. 
I saw many Germans while in Trento, and it was normal to see menus and signs in Italian and German (rather than Italian and English that I've seen). I also saw more sporting goods stores, and people wore semi athletic clothing for every day - I didn't stand out as much in my quick dry shorts and sweater like I normally do. 
I could picture living in Trento a lot more than I could in Palermo - the city is less chaotic and noisy, cleaner, I'd be out hiking in the mountains all the time. It sometimes makes me wish that I'd been placed in a northern city. But then I remember why I went on exchange. Trento reminds me of Rossland, or maybe Nelson or Fernie. If I wanted to spend a year in a place just like where I'd came from, I could have stayed in British Columbia. I went on exchange to immerse myself in another culture, another life. I did it to step outside of my comfort zone, to learn. And I think Palermo and Sicily have done that for me. I hated the noise, the heat, the trash, the cityness, but I dealt with what I hated and found things to love. I will miss the energy and friendliness among much more. 
Como was another nice city. No cars in the centre, next to the lake and between mountains, lots of green space. I saw the war memorial, the cathedral, the two basiliche, ate my lunch on a bench facing the lake, then went to find the railroad to the city on the hill above. The railroad was closed for repairs, so I climbed partway before giving up (all those gelati and cannoli weighing me down, and that Palermo is flat and I'm out of shape). Then back down and to a photography exhibit that I stumbled upon. The artist took polaroids, then while the photo was still developing made impressions and drew lines, shifting the ink. Then to the cathedral again to see inside. Then I ran back to the station to get my luggage and haul it across town to the bus station (without stopping to think about whether the bus would stop at the station - it did). I was unable to find a spot to stay in Como, so I'm staying in Menaggio (hence the bus ride). 
The hostel I stayed at was really nice and friendly. I met two other young women as soon as I stepped off the bus going to the same place, so we immediately started chatting. I stayed in a room with two English girls, an Australian and someone from New Zealand - all in various stages of Italian or European tours. I ate dinner with an American girl who was teaching in Parma and travels each weekend. After dinner we watched fireworks from the railing of the dining room. 
My shower in the morning was cold for unknown reasons, but breakfast included fresh bread, and that made up for it. 
I said goodbye to my companions, then bussed back to Como, where I'd be taking the train to Milano, then Torino. It was easy to leave Lake Como, despite its beauty, because it was a lot like BC, and I'm going back to BC so soon. 
And that was my day in Como! Next stop: Torino!

No comments:

Post a Comment