Friday, December 17, 2010

Florence!

The holidays start soon, and my family is going to Florence! I am very excited about this, as, though not a major city economically, Florence is the birthplace of the current Italian language, and the renaissance, it is a major city culturally speaking. I'm not sure about computor access while I'm there, so it might be January before I can post more about it.
I've done a bit more baking while here, making some pear and apple cakes. However, it seems like I left my ability to tell when cakes are done in Canada, so I've been having some troubles. I could list a million reasons, such as using Celsius, different flour, different fats, etc, but in reality it's because I just can't figure it out anymore. Tonight I'm making a very Canadian dish for my host family... fajitas! I went to three different grocery stores and still couldn't find all of the ingredients, but I'm not super worried. I was a bit sad when I bought a packaged taco seasoning mix because I couldn't find cumin, but it had the right ingredients, so I got it.
I haven't been super busy lately, just normal school and protesting and the like. I did go to a concert at Teatro Politeama, which was super neat. Teatro Politeama was originally built as a multi purpose theatre to house all sorts of shows, from equestrian to acrobatics to plays, and was originally open-aired. We sat on the floor of the theatre, but there was two levels of boxes, and a level of more seating above us. I thought the acoustics were excellent there, from what I could tell, and I really enjoyed the performance.
Also, there's snow on the mountains around Palermo! It makes for a nice change of scenery, and reminds me of Canada, but I'm not a super huge fan of the cold when I don't get to go skiing, or at least have my mitts or boots!
Here's some photos:
Protesters. You can tell these guys are from an art school as their signs are a lot nicer than the normal spray paint and old bedsheet. I like the scissors demonstrating the cutting of funds to education, and woman painted on one is labelled "Saint of Ignorance".

More signs

The two levels of box seating.

The stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment