Sunday, December 12, 2010

Learning Italian, part 2

So, the other day when I wrote the first part on this subject, I had been feeling really great. I felt like I could actually talk to people, understand what they were saying. Finally, I thought, this is what it's like to know what's going on! However, the following days, I didn't get enough sleep, and subsequently, could not understand anything. All the words sound mashed up and out of order. It's like someone took an essay or article, ripped it into many pieces, then put it back together out of order with gum and frosting, and told you to read it.
Also, when I went to write this last week, I had been formulating ideas for it for a while, and forgot at least half of what I was going to write, so hopefully I can complete it today.
I make up a lot of words. "Tion" endings become "zione", add an e to the end of most words, and a few extra syllables. I also like to just add "are" to the end of most verbs. The other thing I am guilty of is mashing French and Italian words together (though not as much lately, as even the tiny amount of French I knew has fallen out of my brain entirely), such as calling apples pela, instead of mela (pomme+mela=pela), and snow, nege, instead of neve (neige+neve=nege).
I hardly ever make anything agree. I hear it's what the cool kids do. Normally I just forget, being so focussed on saying the write word, or conjugating to the right tense, that making adjectives agree isn't a high priority. Also, a lot of the time I just don't know the gender. Sometimes this doesn't matter, but also, a lot of people don't know what I'm saying when I get mixed up. Or words can be very similar, but different genders, such as the words for dog and meat, so I get looks of concern and confusion when I say "Il carne รจ buono", when it should be "La carne..."
Many people will ask me if I understand everything, and normally when I reply that I don't, they ask if I understand even a little. When I say that I do, they usually say something like "good for you", or "keep trying". However, a few times, when I replied that I didn't understand everything, the person I was talking to turned to everyone else and said "She understands nothing!! Nothing!!". When this happens, I feel angry and misrepresented, I would love to shout or scream at that person. But more strongly, I feel discouraged, and disappointed. I'm not sure if the other person really understands how it feels to be publicly displayed as a slow learner, as a bit of an idiot.

In other news, I got a math test back! I got one of the better marks of the class, too! It was a 6/7, out of ten. Certainly nothing fantastic, if I had recieved this grade at home I would be incredibly disappointed. Oh well, something to improve on.

No comments:

Post a Comment