Sunday, July 3, 2011

On Travelling in Italy

I meant to post this when I was in Genoa, but totally forgot. 
You don't need a car to travel in Italy. Trains will get you there faster, and more comfortably, and are generally reasonably priced. Within cities, or between small towns, check out the busses. The main issue with trains is the other passengers, who can occasionally be smelly or very loud. (I'm on the train to Genoa right now, and the guy next to me does not smell good, AND there's a very loud family sitting behind me. I'm trying to remind myself that I was just like the kids not than long ago). But trains are far more comfortable that busses or planes: you get more leg room, you can see more, you don't need to worry as much about baggage restrictions, the stations line up with city bus lines, and you can generally also find the info centre at the station as well. However, if you are keen for a drive through the countryside, or if you're in a place such as Sicily, a car might be handy. 
Hostels are also nice to stay in, particularly while travelling alone. They cost at least €10 to €15 less than a hotel with shared bath, and you get to meet the coolest people. I've loved chatting with my roommates and other hostel stayers. Hostel necessities are: a towel (preferably quick dry), toiletries (because unlike in hotels, these generally aren't included), shower shoes, and a good attitude (a little bit of friendliness will go a long way). 

No comments:

Post a Comment