Sunday, July 3, 2011

Some things I'm going to miss/some efficiencies of Italy

Although I sometimes laugh about how seemingly "infficient" Italy can be, Italy still has many, many strengths. Here are a few I'd love to see implemented in Canada.

Paying by Mass
At panificios (bakeries), bread, cookies, pizza and focaccia are all priced by mass. In Canada, we use this system for produce, meat and cheese, it makes sense to apply it also to bread products. No more "but the last customer got more!" and it works perfectly for pizza or focaccia "a taglio" (by the slice) as you can request the amount to fit your appetite. 

No Tipping
Restaurants charge a service fee - €1 to €3 - then all other charges are included in the price. The prices seem a little high at first, but you are able to see exactly how much it will be from the menu. Prices for dinner would be service fee (also pays for bread) + meal + beverage, all taxes and service included. (I also love the even numbers - I hate dealing with pennies.)
For bars (think: cafe), there are two prices: one if you order from the bar, the other if you order from a server (or plan on sitting at a table that is serviced - if you are unsure, tell them that you plan on sitting down). This additional fee is the service charge like in restaurants. As far as I know, being a server does not mean scraping by. 

Paying Ahead/Not to the Barista
At many bars, you pay to the cashier, before getting your coffee/baked good/sandwich/gelato. The cashier will either give you two part receipt, or the barista will rip your receipt as you take your food. To anyone who says this is inconvenient, I'd like to point the obvious: I don't want whoever is handling my food to be touching my (or anyone else's) dirty, grimy euros. Also, digging for correct change while trying to manage a melting gelato is a pain. 

Public Transport
My friends think I'm crazy when I tell them how much I love the busses here. I live on a major bus route, with busses going by that go to the beach or centre every ten minutes, and busses to the airport every half hour. My friends complain that it's never on time, which I'm not sure I understand because there isn't necessarily a schedule, just a frequency. They also complain that it's too slow. Perhaps if more people took the bus there would be less traffic and the bus would go faster. 
To take the bus here, buy a ticket from a tobacco shop or bar, then stamp when you get on the bus. Regular tickets are €1.30 and are valid for 90 minutes from time of stamping. Unlike Rossland buses, you don't need to worry about incorrect change and you can ride several times on one ticket. Unfortunately there are some downsides as well. Many people don't stamp or buy a ticket, hoping to take as many rides as possible with paying, either stamping or leaving the bus immediately if a controller comes. (I'm one of the bizarre ones that pays for my bus ride.)

Differentiated Garbage
Palermo takes it one step further by separating not only paper, plastics, glass and regular garbage, but also "organics" - anything that will, at some point, biodegrade. In goes coffee grounds, kitchen scraps, leftovers gone bad. Since garbage is picked up a few times a week, garbage doesn't really have enough time to get really smelly. 
Unfortunately this practice doesn't really continue outside the home - recycling is pretty much unheard of at school in one the streets. 

A Greater Attitude of "Sharing"
In restaurants, or for parties, food bills are split evenly, and gifts are nearly always group bought. I rather like this. 

The Food - I think that's obvious
If I don't get my daily carb fix, I'll probably go into withdrawal. Gelato. Beyond amazing. I think it will run in my veins in place of blood by the time I leave. Pizza. Coffee. Desserts. Olive oil. Cookies for breakfast. The simplicity. The freshness. 
And also the attitude around food. Lunch and dinner are always eaten together, never rushed, always enjoyed. 

General Friendliness
People are always willing to help you out, or at least say a few words. Though I normally hate how much attention I get for being foreign, it certainly comes in handy at times. One of the "ten commandments of being an exchange student" was "ask, or be ignorant". I took that to heart, and always always ask questions.  While on the bus or train, I always confirm the direction, and usually someone will say "oh, I get off there, too. Follow me!". Bus drivers and other passengers are eager to give advice and directions.

I'm not sure how well I've explained how great Italy is. I'm not sure I'd want to live in Palermo, but my stay here has been amazing.  

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to miss public transportation like it is here soo much!! this was a great blog post, good idea!! I might copy the idea for Norway :)

    have a good trip home!

    ReplyDelete