Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Things I do Wrong

Apart from still not understanding very much Italian, here are a few of the things I just can't seem to do right:
1. Waiting in lines and walking in crowded areas.
This shouldn't be difficult, but for some reason it is. I'm always waiting for people to allow me through, so I never push forward. This, of course, gets me nowhere. While buying bread, my host sister is always saying, "ok, go now!", and while at a protest with friends, I was always being left behind in the crowds.
2. Buying stuff
Again, should be simple, no? In Canada, one would simply hand the money to the cashier, but in Italy, you place it on a plate or tray in front of them. This is easy, I am just not the brightest.
3. Getting coffee from a vending machine
This deserves a post of its own.
4. Understanding English
When people speak in Italian, I frequently look confused, and sometimes people translate for me. When I still look confused, they probably wonder if I can speak or understand any language. The answer to this is no, I seemingly can't understand anything. Sorry.
5. Understanding the school system
Just when I think I have things figured out, something will change. Today, rather than going to Latin, I thought I'd study Italian in the library. This involves going to the library, hoping it is open, or that the librarian will be there soon, and praying to be allowed in. Why?

I sometimes (ok, frequently) wish I could screw up less often, but we all know that's not possible. This list is only the beginning, stay posted for updates!

1 comment:

  1. Just a tip for crowds that me and Nemaiah used at Me To We at the lunch break. "The harder you push the faster you'll go". I hope this reminds you of Geoff, as I think I have heard him say it before. Back to Me to We, all I did was make a V with my hands, and Nemaiah pushed me from the back. We were the only ones moving, but hey, at least we got to where we wanted to go.

    ReplyDelete