Friday, November 5, 2010

Trapani



The exchange students from this district were invited to go to the Interact National Assembly in Trapani, just an hour away from Palermo. There were clubs from all over the district of Sicily, as well as clubs from other parts of Italy. I think they were meeting to discuss a group project.
Sunday started with a short presentation from sev
eral people, then it was time for lunch. Normally I would think to myself, "maybe I shouldn't eat this much food, I will need two seats on the return flight to Canada", but then I remember I'm only here once, and that I should go for it, so I certainly did not hold back here. Lunch was pasta, couscous and veggies, and the dessert was incredible. I had some of everything, except for one thing, which I missed. I had profiteroles covered in chocolate whipped cream, coffee mousse, and a cream pie with fruit. So delicious.
After lunch were introductions from all the clubs involved, and us exchange students said a few words. That night was the gala dinner so we changed into our dresses and sat at fancy tables. Before dinner were more speeches, and the flag presentation common to many Rotary events. Once again, I ate everything. We had quiche, ravioli with mushrooms, a meat course of beef, stuffed pork, and peas, then dessert, then fruit with lemon sorbet. Honestly this food was good. And it sounds like a lot, but remember that it took over two hours to eat.
After dinner was the discoteca!! We danced for quite a time, then went back to the hotel in time to hang out for a bit and get a few hours sleep.
On Monday we went on a tour of the historical centre of the city. I really enjoyed this although I stopped even trying to understand the tourguide after what seemed like the hundredth church. Trapani is right on the coast, and was super windy, which I loved, and the sea made me think of sailing. After the tour, some of us went for lunch at a pizza place. I had Genovese pizza, which had pesto, sausage and breadcrumbs and was delicious.
At this point it was time to say goodbye to our lovely hosts and head back to Palermo, after this fun but exhausting weekend.
I'm not sure if it was just because of my poor language skills, but I'm not sure what exactly this event accomplished. As a member of Interact for several years, I do know a little bit about budgetting for projects, but I could never imagine putting this in the budget. I know that a little bit of money can go a long way and can't help but cringe at the costs for this event. But, most likely, I just didn't know what happened because I didn't understand Italian. Best of luck on your projects, Interact!

No comments:

Post a Comment