Friday, November 5, 2010

Who needs school anyway?

Last week I had three half days, then two full days, then four days off. And the reason I have time to write today is because we got out four hours early.
The first half day wasn't really a half day. We had one hour of classes, then two hours of elections, then one hour of class. During the last hour the PE teacher wasn't there, so we went home early.
The second half day started late (though I didn't know so I was there on time) and ended on time, but we only had one hour of class. At nine thirty we went to the theatre to take part in an anti mafia video internet conference. This might have been interesting had I understood what was being said, but a combination of poor sound quality and my near-existant Italian skills made that impossible. After this we had an hour of practicing for our Dante presentation.
Then, Dante festival!!! Last Wednesday my class attended, along with other classes and schools, a series of plays, music, videos, powerpoint presentations, and skits put on by students focussed on Dante. Unfortunately I forgot my camera, so there won't be any photos from this event. We watched several presentation from other schools. I didn't understand a lot of them. Some I understood because of my limited knowledge of the Divine Comedy, but not a lot. Plus the people around me were getting noisier and rowdier as the day went on (as is common for most teenage boys), and that did not help me concentrate. Then it was our turn, and I stood in my place in line as part of the chorus (we didn't sing, but I'm not sure what to call a speaking part equivalent to a chorus). I had three lines, and walked a course with a group of other classmates. I was pretty proud of myself for remembering my lines, and not tripping. Shortly after our presentation we left. The next day my Italian teacher gave me a poster from Dante week, and circled the event we went to. He then wrote "Don't forget us!" and signed his name. I've been here six weeks and I'm already getting "don't forget us" notes. I love this guy, I think he's hilarious and enthusiastic.
Saturday we had off so they could either do a big cleaning, or de-insect the school (ummm), I don't remember which. Monday and Tuesday were Festa dei Morti (Celebration of the Dead), so we didn't have school then either. Halloween isn't celebrated here, there are few costumes for sale, no candy, no candy on sale the week after, but some people do celebrate Festa dei Morti. During Festi dei Morti, people visit the cemetaries their families are buried in to remember their lives. There are other activities associated with this event, but since my family didn't participate, I don't know a lot about them. My host dad went to another area of Sicily to observe this festival, but my host mom's family is in northern Italy.

No comments:

Post a Comment